Pages

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Layers: in Editing & Cheese

Video editing technology astounds me. It's simple-complex, a lot like cheese; many, many layers, always something new waiting to be discovered. I like that, in my work, my life and in my food.

Working through a new project, with filters and templates and layer upon layer of media -- it's those layers that make it beautiful -- but it's maddeningly minute. Move one frame here, add a dissolve by this time, put this media on top of that. Oh, and don't forget to cut to the music and narrative.

I've discovered that once effects are placed, every single move of a clip requires a render* which can take several minutes at a shot, definitely not a quick process.

Writing about my experiences traveling through the cheese world has always been on my to do list. The elusive element, until now, has been twofold: time, as a WAHM with two kids, writing time is precious; and then there's that even bigger question, what particular niche is it that I operate in, what's my angle.

It occurred to me during a lull as an edit renders that this, this is my time to write... and, as I try one more mask or a gentle tweak to bring up the green in the grass -- what I am is a filmmaker, a story teller, who just happens to focus on cheese.

That's my niche. This is my blog.


*Rendering is a video editing process where the computer merges all the effects (like video titles, text boxes, color correction etc.) so they are viewable as a preview.

No comments: