Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Sweet Spot ~ When a Video "Coagulates"


Video production is a many stage process. First there's the shoot - which, depending on the project, can lead to hours and hours of footage and interviews with 10 or more people.

Then there's logging - transferring all that footage from tape into my editing software, pulling out long stretches of "might be useful" bits (which amount to only about 10% of what I shoot) - and tagging the clips so they're easily found. It's a rather tedious process.

Next, as my husband Matt (knower of all things video production and without whom I could not do what I do) coaches, "you find the music," a whole process in itself which I'll cover in a future post.

And then, once all the preliminaries are done (and I've fretted enough about how it's not coming together), there comes a very definitive moment where the story begins to emerge.

Every time this happens. And it always surprises me; when, daring to use a cheese analogy, it coagulates.

I hit the sweet spot where all the good bits from many different people come together. A clear arc forms as a thought from one person merges perfectly into the sentiments of another, almost magically telling the story. I've been in this space these past few days, putting the finishing touches on the rough cut of the CACG video. Exciting...

Yet, as much as I love it when the story crystalizes and the extraneous falls away, it's beautiful and vexing in equal measure - pushing "cut" on those many, many extraordinary bits that I just can't fit -- requires a ruthlessness that I'm still working on.

...Guess that's why there are outtakes...

No comments: