Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Revisiting the Great Oregon Cheese Adventure



Leaving Oregon and moving to Arizona was a pivotal moment for me. Living here leaves me quite disconnected from the lifeblood of the know your where your food comes from consciousness that is so palpable San Francisco north.

As I revisit my first "big" video project, the Great Oregon Cheese Adventure of 2007 - 3 days, 515 miles and 9 Oregon creameries - I am filled with gratitude for having had the opportunity for such an up-close and personal experience with cheese. It profoundly deepened my appreciation for artisan and farmstead products and the people who make them.

A bit of history - I could hardly believe my luck when, in August 2007, I was commissioned by the Oregon Cheese Guild and Dairy Farmers of Oregon to produce a short vignette for the upcoming Wedge Festival and several informational videos for the OCG website.

On the adventure: cheese legend Max McCalman in the area researching his latest book "Mastering Cheese" (2009) along with his photographer Nicholas Beckman. Behind the wheel of the workhorse Rogue Creamery truck was tour guide extraordinaire David Gremmels, showing off the varied cheesemaking regions Oregon.

For many reasons and seasons, this project has been put on hold. Until now.

It was an incredible moment for me to be there, gallivanting around the countryside with the likes of Max and David, two rock stars in the cheese world. It felt, on many levels, like I had arrived at the center of the cheese universe.

Revisiting the trip footage has been pretty amazing, taking me back to a time when cheese and the people who make it were in my backyard. I'm rather tickled by some of the gems I've re-discovered from each and every stop along the way.

Over the coming weeks and months, I'll be sharing periodic vignettes that may emerge during the editing process as well as some short profiles of cheesemakers we visited.


To Be Continued...

No comments: